Startup Champions Network Summits
Twice annually, Startup Champion Network members meet in-person to connect, share knowledge/experiences and take a deep, behind-the-scenes dive into the local host ecosystem. This personal interaction is a critical part of the member value-proposition as well as an important commitment all members make -- to celebrate each other.
These 2.5 day intimate gatherings bring together the nation's top ecosystem builders and national ecosystem support organizations to convene conversations, gain insight from real world case studies, and explore and experience new communities, against the backdrops of some of the nation's top emerging ecosystems.
We're looking forward to spending time again with our growing network of Entrepreneurial Ecosystem Building professionals this Fall in Denver, Colorado along with one of the country's biggest Startup Weeks -- Denver Startup Week (DSW). Sign up for our summit at https://scndenversummit.eventbrite.com/.
The Denver SCN Summit has 3 fundamental goals:
We help Ecosystem Builders connect with key peers and resources
We improve Ecosystem Builders' knowledge and best practices
We help Ecosystem Builders develop mission-critical skills
Additional summit content includes relevant topics to members including:
Changing a community's culture to believe in possibility
Engaging and empowering under-represented populations
Leading coalition support for entrepreneurship and innovation
Funding your ecosystem building efforts
Forging stronger startup teams
Creating mentor-driven networks
Unlocking local/regional capital and attracting outside capital
Supporting and connecting with corporate innovators
And more topics/best-practices from Members
OUR NEXT SUMMIT: FALL 2018
September 24-26, 2018
We're headed to Denver, Colorado!
The 2018 Fall Summit in Denver, Colorado will be a 2.5 day gathering bringing together some of the world's top startup ecosystem builders and national ecosystem support organizations - alongside one of the top Startup Weeks in the world! Join SCN for a few days focused on developing our skills and strengths as ecosystem builders in one of the US' top startup hubs. Spend time with peers digging deep into shared issues through curated conversations, improve your work by learning how to implement successful models in application-focused workshops, own the afternoons through attendee generated un-conference time, and deepen relationships with old and new friends while you explore all Denver has to offer.
YOUR HOST CITY: DENVER
Denver is one of the most entrepreneurial cities on the planet. It's one of the top 10 cities in the country for entrepreneurs and startups, according to a new report from Business.org, hosts a record-breaking Startup Week, and in January the Denver Business Journal reported that 2017 was a banner year for startups in Colorado, with venture capitalists investing $1.1 billion in startups.
Denver was incorporated in 1861 and is the most populous city in Colorado with over 700,000 residents. It is the capital of Colorado.
SUMMIT AGENDA HIGHLIGHTS
Monday, sEPTEMBER 24 (Pre-Summit)
- 3:30 PM Registration Opens
- 4:00-4:30 PM First-time attendee welcome, orientation, and buddy meetup
- 4:30 PM SCN Special Opening Event - Scott Case & Marc Nager
- 6:00 PM Denver Startup Week Welcome Party - free food and drink (DSW)
TUESDAY, sEPTEMBER 25
- 8:30 AM - 9:00 AM Healthy SCN breakfast
- 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM SCN SUMMIT PROGRAMMING (members, partners, and guests only)
- 9 AM: Welcome w/ Larkin Garbee and Erik
- 9:15 AM: Layout the Summit and days goals
- 9:25 AM: Session 1 (full group) Intercultural Unity (ICU) standards and review
- 11:00 AM break
- 11:30 AM Session 2, Special topic breakouts:
- Self-Care: Being a Happy and Health Ecosystem Builder
- Financial Sustainability Models for Ecosystem Builders (sponsorships, grants, memberships etc)
- Mentor Programs, Lessons Learned
- How to Help Startups Fund Raise by Activating Your Angel Investors to Create a Fund
- 12:30 PM Lunch
- 2:00 - 5:00 PM Denver Startup Week sessions featuring SCN Speakers & Topics (TBA)
- 3 pm Startup Crawl (Visit up to 20 startups) (DSW)
- 5 pm Women Who Startup Summit (DSW)
- 6:30-8:30 pm Dinners with partners/sponsor/local Denver hosts
- 9:00 PM Whisky and War Stories
Wednesday, sEPTEMBER 26
- 8:30 - 9:00 AM Healthy SCN breakfast
- 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM SCN SUMMIT PROGRAMMING (members, partners, and guest only)
- 9:00 AM: Layout the days goals and review yesterday’s takeaways
- 9:15 AM: Session 1: Intercultural Unity team (ICU) leads small group exercises to reinforce the standards and how individuals can incorporate the standards into the SCN and their home ecosystem
- 10:30 AM: Break
- 11:00 AM: Session 2: Moderated functional breakout discussions:
- Ecosystem Builders whose focus is PEOPLE (the convenors, connectors, and collaboration drivers)
- Ecosystem Builders who run PLACES (they run facilities like coworking, incubator spaces, etc...)
- Ecosystem Builders who run PROGRAMS (they run accelerators, pitch events, etc…)
- Ecosystem Builders whose focus is POLICY (they influence and implement policy)
- 12:00 PM: Summit wrap-up and Spring Summit preview
- 12:30 - 2:00 PM: Lunch and transition to DSW (first-time attendee debrief)
- 2:00 - 5:00 PM: SCN ecosystem building track at DSW Basecamp (2-3 sessions)
- 2:00 - 3:00 PM: Community Building Fundamentals (DSW)
- 3:00 - 4:00 PM: Creating Diverse and Inclusive Communities...Beyond the Theory (DSW)
- 2:00 - 5:00 PM Denver Startup Week events (DSW)
- 5:00 PM: Denver Startup Week Job Fair and Pitch Competitions (DSW)
- 6:00 - 9:00 PM: SCN Evening Keynote & Cocktails: Victor Hwang, Kauffman Foundation
What's Covered BY YOUR REGISTRATION
Your registration fee covers all daytime events, including several meals. Champions will be responsible for their own travel, lodging, snacks, and drinks each night.
Bringing Guests and/or Sending Someone in Your Place
All meeting attendees must be fully registered members of the Startup Champions Network or have received an official invitation to attend. If there is someone you would like to invite/send who is not a member, please reach out to us here. We are aiming to keep this event small to maximize relationship building and maintain budget sustainability.
TRAVELING TO DENVER
Getting to Denver - and around while you're here - is pretty easy. For a look at all the transportation options, visit Denver.org
Denver International Airport (DEN) is a major airline hub in the United States. Since the airport opened in 1995, it has consistently won readers' choice awards from publications like Business Traveler Magazine. Learn more here.
Driving to Denver? Denver sits at the junction of I-25 (north-south) and I-70 (east-west). Learn more at Denver.org above and a road distance map for several states here.
WHERE TO STAY
Want to help coordinate your lodging and travel with others? Check the newsletters, our private Facebook group or email an organizer for the link to our travel form.
Chattanooga, Tennessee (Spring 2018)
hosted by Co.Lab / Edney Innovation Center
Fargo, North Dakota (Fall 2017)
hosted by Emerging Prairie
Tampa, Florida (Winter 2017)
hosted by Tampa Bay WaVE
Baltimore, Maryland (Fall 2016)
hosted by Startup Maryland
Santa Barbara, California (Winter 2016)
hosted by StartupSB
Portland, Maine (Summer 2015)
hosted by Maine Accelerates Growth
Little Rock, Arkansas (Spring 2015)
hosted by The Venture Center
Nashville, Tennessee (Summer 2014)
hosted by the Nashville Entrepreneurial Center